INDIANAPOLIS COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
The Westin Indianapolis is proud to be an integral part of the local Indianapolis community involvement. Throughout the year, we look to strengthen our involvement while leveraging existing relationships with Indianapolis sports teams, philanthropic organizations and various national and regional causes.
Most recently, The Westin Indianapolis was the official hotel sponsor for the inaugural NFL ‘Fit for You' 5K. Our Executive Chef, Kim Stanek, prepared SuperFoodsRX inspired fruit smoothies for all participants prior to the race, and provided blends of energy-rich trail mix upon completing the 5K. All event proceeds went to NFL charities including the American Heart Association.
Travelers are reminded that with Westin, traveling doesn't have to be a trip full of over indulgence. With a SuperFoodsRX inspired menu complete with powerful nutrients and antioxidants, to WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studios, Westin inspires you to reenergize your mind and body.
If you are interested in learning more about with The Westin Indianapolis or partnering with us for an upcoming community event, please email us.
The Westin Gives Back to Indianapolis...
- Beautification Day
- This is a city wide effort that takes place right before the Indy 500. In 2010 we had around 20 associates volunteer their time to clean up the streets of downtown Indianapolis.
- Indianapolis Hotel and Lodging Associations, Extreme Dream Makeover
- The Westin participated for the 3rd year in August of 2010. This program targets low income families and children with disabilities and special needs. The project included making over a children's' bedrooms, landscaping and general repairs on the home.
- Habitat for Humanity Lunch
- The Westin catered a Lunch for the organization that assists in building homes for low income families.
- The Giving Tree
- Every Holiday season the Westin assists 11 families within our organization with gifts for the holidays. Anonymous names are put on a tree and various hotel associates retrieved the names and items to be purchased. After the gifts are submitted HR wraps and distributes the gifts to the associates in need.
- NFL Fit for You 5k
- The Westin Indianapolis was proud to be an official sponsor for the NFL ‘Fit for You' 5K, with event proceeds going to NFL charities and the American Heart Association.
- Continued Salvation Army initiatives
- Mattress donation - The Westin upgrading all of the hotel mattresses and donated over 500 of the current Heavenly Bed Mattresses to the Indianapolis location of the Salvation Army.
- Can drive - Company wide can drive donating all proceeds to the Indianapolis location of the Salvation Army.
- The Westin Human Resources Department held a one day training class at the Salvation Army location in Indianapolis and assisted attendees by training them on how to job search, prepare for an interview and held mock interviews in order to educate the attendees on the process of getting into the work force.
- In the Month of February Westin Associates were offered the opportunity to purchase candy grams for other associates. All proceeds were donated to the Indianapolis location of the Salvation Army.
- Food that is remaining after any event held at the Westin Indianapolis is donated to the Indianapolis location of the Salvation Army
- Race for the Cure
- The Westin has a team that annually takes part in the Race.
- Midwest Academy
- Chef Kimberly Stanek is a part of the program "Chef's Move to School", established by Michelle Obama. Chef Stanek has selected to partner up with Midwest Academy, a school that focuses on Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. She has held a healthy food demonstration, handed out healthy option recipe cards and is in the process of creating a garden on school property that she will teach the children to maintain.
- Dress for Success is a non-profit organization that provides women clothes, confidence and career development support. Dress for Success helps disadvantaged women in Indianapolis receive the support and opportunity she needs to start her journey towards self-sufficiency by providing one interview suit, complete with shoes, purse, make-up and portfolio. www.dressforsuccess.org/indianapolis. The SOS - Send One Suit - Week is April 04-08, 2011. The primary need is women's professional suits and blouses (on hangers, please), but purses, dress shoes, and hosiery are needed too. Of course, cash donations are also accepted - either in person or online.
- The Westin Indianapolis partnered with the Indiana Blood Center and hosted a blood drive on October 3rd here on the Westin Drive. (Photo attached) Two of our partners, Chevrolet and The OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, came out for the event and gave our donors the opportunity to enter to win great prizes. (Let me know if you need any additional information/photos)
- The Westin Indianapolis recently held an internal Pie Eating contest. Each department chose a charity that was of great importance to them, and then one representative from each department competed in the contest. The Sales and Marketing team's John Barry won the contest and the $400 was contributed to Susie's Place Child Advocacy Center (http://susiesplace.org/)